WHAT IS THE OBSERVER CORPS?
The history of the League's Observer Corps began in the 1960's: the Freedom of Information Act passed in 1966, followed by the Sunshine Act of 1976, followed by Sunshine Laws in individual states. These sunshine laws refer to openness in government in two distinct areas: citizen access to public records and access to public meetings.
The premise behind these laws is that everyday people have the right to know what actions their government agencies are taking, to attend public meetings and have access to public documents.
The League actively supports the citizens' right to know about its government and advocates for government transparency. Being an observer gives you the opportunity to represent the League in the community.
One important way is through the Observer Corps. This is a structured way for League members to exercise these rights and to monitor our government. An Observer attends a governmental agency meeting, notes what happens at the meeting, and reports back to the League.
You can download and print a form to use for observations
- Observers learn about the issues in the community and monitors how they are being addressed by the government.
- Observers' notes are reported back to our League, so membership can learn from them.
- Observers keep elected officials on notice, let them know someone is a witness to the decisions being made, and form relationships with officials that can be beneficial.
- Observers attend the meetings to gain information. They do not make statements at the meeting.
- A simple form is used to facilitate the notes being taken, so they can be shared with our League.
As you consider how you want to be involved in our League, consider the Observer Corps!
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Dec. 5, 2017
Nov. 7, 2017
Oct. 3, 2017
Sept. 12, 2017
June 6 2017
May 2 2017
March 7 2017
January 3 2017
BOARD OF ELECTIONS
April 11 2017
Addendum for 818 Meeting-Summarizing Proposed Plan for OneStop Absentee
Full 23 page file available from the NHC Board of Elections
BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
Feb. 18, 2018
Feb. 5, 2018
Jan. 08, 2018
Dec. 18, 2017
Nov. 20, 2017
Nov. 6, 2017
October 16, 2017
June 19 2017
May 15, 2017
April 17 2017
March 6 2017
Feb 6 2017
Jan 23 2017